Monday, February 06, 2006

What We Value The Most....

I have been quite lazy with my blogging recently. I seem to have let marathon training & socializing get the better of my leisure hours. However, I think it is time to once again get back to reflecting. The last two posts I composed had to do with The Oscars. I do intend on returning back to discussing my predictions but for today I would like to get off the subject of movies and turn to the topic of qualities that we find to be most important.

These can be particular qualities that you strive to possess or virtues that you look for in people you choose to associate with. This mini commentary takes me back to this fall when I had my students do a similar exercise where they took a specific quality and examined both the positives and negatives of it. For example, having a willingness to do just about anything for someone can give you the reputation as being a generous friend by on the other side of the coin, it can also leave you open to being taken advantage of by others who assume that your good will is never ending.

I began to think about different traits that I aspire to have and those that I feel make great friends. There were many that crossed my mind but here are just 3ish and my rationalizations on why these traits are so important...

~ Consistency & Approachability: This might seem like a very easy and effortless concept but in this ever changing world, it is tough to find people that stay firm in your life. Also, it is difficult to be friends with someone that seems pissed off just about everytime that you talk to them. Chances are is not your fault most of the time but after a while, their negativity might start to wearoff on you.

~ A sense of humor: My true amigos are the ones that I can call anywhere (may it be work or home) and say "What's up whore?" or "What's up pimp daddy" and they will not find it strange or immature. They respect the fact that laughing occasionally is good for you.

~ The inability to harness arrogance/not looking down on others: I know, odd wording for this one but it is a perplexing state of mind to have. It is good to be proud of things in your life. It is healthy and I believe that it increases your faith. However, it is best not to let it get out of hand. I hate people that think they are better than others. Many times I have seen people being snobs when they have no reason to be. No one likes a stuck up and chances are that everyone is talking about you as soon as you walk away.

2 comments:

E-Speed said...

so freak ;) are you coming to run tonight or what? I miss you and Jen! Why do all of my friends have to be west siders?

A. M. Mericsko said...

I know. I am a bad running friend! We need to hang out again & do something that does not involve sweating!