Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Ramblings Of Mamma....

Tonight, when Jen and I were on our 8ish mile run we talked a little about quotes. It is hard for me not to bring up my mom when I reflect on memorable quotes because she has had some doosies over the years. There have been so many that have stumbled from her lips but tonight I had a hard time recalling many. Right now I am wishing that I would've written them down or at least tried hard to commit them to memory.

I do love my mom. She has done amazing things for me over my life. However, she has a knack for sometimes saying absolutely perplexing things. Throughout my life her words have wisdom have both pissed me off and left me completely confused at times. The following is a brief sampling with my attempt at explaining either her rational or the situation that made her express her statement.

"Be careful, there is ice on ice"--- She told this to Jen & I before we went out running on a particularly slippery winter day. I know that running on ice can be tricky but I am still not sure what the hell constitutes as "ice on ice"

"I had a coupon for that place."--- My mom frequently enjoys reprimanding me if I dine at an establishment without consulting her for possible coupons. To her, the failure to save a $1.00 on a burger is a mortal sin.

"We know you can run a full marathon, why do you need to run these 20 mile training runs?"--- She told me this last week enlight of my current training for Boston. I do not think that I will be asking her for potential training advice anytime soon.

"You might catch gay at the Elton John concert."--- I know there have been studies done concerning environment & genetics but I am not sure if scientists have investigated the link between listening to Captain Fantastic and then switching teams.

"Ichi mamma's bubba"--- I guess you have to hear her say it to get the full effect but she sometimes says this to the dog and cat. I have no idea why or what it mean but the pets seem to like it.

"Will this be your last marathon? Why do you keep running?"--- She asked this after Chicago, ran three more and still going strong.

"She seems kind of stuck up. She never talks to us (meaning herself & my dad)."--- I used to think that Italian grudges were the worst but I am beginning to think that her Polish scorn is up there. My mom is pretty firm with her judgements of my friends. If she likes them, she tells me and if she doesn't than she tells me, constantly. It does bother me alot but I also have to admit that eventually, even though it may take some time, she turns out to be dead on with her evaluations.

"You are almost done!!"--- She screamed this to me during mile 2 of a 10,000 meter race at Mount Union. The race is over 6 miles long. Wrong thing to say at that time. Did I also mention that she has the sort of voice that can sometimes bend steel?

"Your ambition has extremely exceeded your ability. I had my doubts at one time that you would be able graduate from high school but you have exceeded beyond my greatest dreams. I am so proud of what you have accomplished. You are so disciplined."--- I thought I would end this post on a good note because for every goofy thing she says there are also the times that she truly shines and says exactly the perfect things. There is never a dull moment with her and that is why I love her.

3 comments:

E-Speed said...

oh man, I hope I'm on your moms good list!

E-Speed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A. M. Mericsko said...

she likes you! it's all good!