Monday, February 13, 2006

I Heart Nicknames...

Back when I was in college we heavily believed in the use of nicknames. We had nicknames for multiple individuals and most of the time they were not endearing names. Yes, I must admit that we constantly made fun of others behind their backs. I know, not the most mature or kind thing to do, but we were naive, in college and alcohol strongly influenced our better judgment. Many times I did not initiate the given nickname. See, I am not that cruel! Mostly because I was not that clever with bestowing the mockery. However, I did contribute to its usage as opposed to reprimanding others for their verbal slander. Here are just a few names that come to mind: the sea donkey from across the way, the crying giant, Harley, Picasso, water boy, hair, pizza boyfriend, chapter 2, Skeletor. I know that some of my friends from college can probably chime in with additions.

Last week at work I was delighted to hear that the same practice of nicknames is also used in my office. This puts a smile on my face. I was beginning to think that being in the corporate world meant having to put an end to such childish games.

4 comments:

E-Speed said...

yeah I had one of those nicknames my freshan year at college, had no clue until someone told me about it as a senior "no-bra beth"

yeah so i was meant to be a hippy, sue me ;)

A. M. Mericsko said...

awe, I would've not contributed to that nickname! they suck!

Rhonda Helms said...

My workplace is RAMPANT with nicknames...hahaha. That's awesome.

Sam said...

Yeah... so I know who chapter 2 is... memories of my own freshman year. Haha.