Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Rudy Syndrome

I owe this idea partially to my old advisor and current friend, Dr. Kelly (K-Lowe) Lowe. Back during my senior year of college I took a Sport & American Culture class with him. I know what you non-English majors are thinking and no it was not a blow off class and not we did not just sit around watching old sporting events or sports related movies.

One of the assignments called for us to watch a sports related movie (okay, so we did do a little of that) and write a critical analysis on how the movie reflects upon a specific segment of our American Culture. As you would imagine, there were mixed reviews from the class upon learning of the assignment. Some complained about having to apply the effort of both watching and dissecting a film (got to love those overachievers!) and some were eager to apply their critical thinking skills and uncover underlying meaning in a popular sports related movie.

Kelly was pretty open about which movie we could choose but he did have one important word of advice for us to adhere to: The following is paraphrased since it has been about 5 years since the class - "Whatever you do, please do not choose Rudy because no matter how hard you try to dissect the movie it will be impossible for you to be impartial." His message was that inevitably you will become tranced by your love of the movie and the underlying message of the underdog finally getting his moment in the sun will cloud your judgment as a critic. No matter how many obvious flaws you see in the film, you will still come away being "ga ga" for Rudy and this optimism will negatively reflect in your writing

After watching Rudy a few times since Kelly's class I have learned how true it is. Tearing apart Rudy is difficult if not impossible for many. Who doesn't get a warm feeling from the cheesy ending?

I also thinking "The Rudy Syndrome" can be put into play when dealing with people. Case in point, particularly family members or friends that you keep giving second, third and even fourth chances to. No matter how hard you may try, you just can't seem to stop from romanticizing over past events and ignoring the many faults or times that they have hurt you. Perhaps those few flashes of generosity or caring they once showed you overrule the multiple technical flaws that they have. The good points are the main reason why you keep them in your life similar to the reason why you will watch the movie Rudy again and again.

4 comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

Wow, that's a really great thought. I totally have people in my life where I have that exact syndrome...*sigh*

Er, not you, though. :D

LOL

Unknown said...

You forgot my impression of the typical Mount Union College student who see's Rudy for the first time: "that's me!"

A. M. Mericsko said...

LOL! Dang it! I knew I fogot a vital piece of info! This is especially true for every 3rd stringer on the Raider football team!

Unknown said...

Wow....really...i hated the movie Rudy. I know that wasn't the point of the post but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get past my dislike for the movie. Maybe it's my dislike for Notre Dame or the cliche story line (even if it is based on a true story)or perhaps it's the fact that it's way too long. I don't know, either way, wow. Do that many people like the movie? I just ask James and he doesn't like it either. I find it hard to believe we're the only two.