Friday, January 06, 2006

Could The L Word ever be shown on basic cable?

I saw Brokeback Mountain this past Monday. I felt quite accomplished because I actually attended the 10:15 am showing on the movie. That has been something that I have always wanted to do but never got around to doing - catching the first showing of a movie. I always say that when I eventually retire the early bargain matinee will be typical protocol for me. I walked into the theatre and had to laugh because there were so many other single, avoiding eye contact viewers like myself there. There was also a much older crowd there I guess that is typical for the time slot but I was pleasantly surprised at the dynamics considering the the publicity that the film is getting. I could go into how great the movie was and how much the media way over hyped the sex scences but I will save that for another blog posting since there is another issue that I wanted to bring up.

I am a big fan of The L Word. I have been since the first time my supervisor suggested that I watch the fab show on Showtime that caught her attention. Previously, I had been a huge fan of Sex and the City. I still am and own all 6 seasons on dvd. However, after watching The L Word I became aware of how weak the show really was when it came to dealing with sex, love and relationships (the marketing strategy that the show claimed to have). Where as Sex and the City tends to dip lightly into the waters, L totally immerses the characters into the tides. Many issues involved in L are addressed in multiple episodes or possibly even a whole season. Yes, sex is a mover and a shaker in the show but it gets put on the back burner (with the exception of Shayne) for struggles with career, politics and communication. The storylines are deep and emotion is always the focal point.

With this being said, I wonder if basic cable channels would take the chance if they were ever given the option of playing reruns of The L Word? I, like many, had some serious doubts when TBS picked up S & C but it has seemed to work wonders for them and their ratings. Sure, they soften the language up so much that it is a joke and cut out about 75% of what makes the show so great but I guess they still should be given some credit for taking a partial chance. I wonder if a station would ever take the chance with L even if they cut out the physical passion. Or would it be too much to risk because our society is still so frightened by the subject matter?

No comments: