Sunday, December 25, 2005

T'Was The Night Before Christmas.....

Last night, I, like many other Americans engaged in the traditional family style Christmas Eve motions. Most ate too much, some drank too much as we exchanged gifts and griped about jobs and gas bills. I took comfort in knowing that another year had passed but that my uncle's perverted sense of humor had stayed intact.

Of course, it would not quite be the holiday season without my gramps asking his customary, "So when you getting married?" and a new for Christmas 2005 jab by my step grandma of "Looks like your gaining a little weight." as she playful patted my stomach immediately following an awkward hug. Ahhh, the holiday. And for one brief second I tinkered with the possibility of looking them both in the eyes and saying, "Well, I was going to wait till after the holidays but the good news is that I am getting married next month because I am soon expecting a child with my (insert whichever race or ethnicity makes them the most uncomfortable) lover. The ceremony will be small and the reception will probably be at a Local VFW Hall; we are thinking buffet style." But then, before I could eloquently delivery my speech, reason got the better of me and I gracefully left to meet up with Rob.

Spending the evening with a close bud (both the beer and the friend) was a good way to end the eve. However, it was a little more complicated attempting to find a bar that was open on Christmas Eve. At last, we saw the neon "Open" sign of The Jigsaw. We were pleased with this. We came pretty close to throwing the towel in and going to The Crazy Horse. However, after this week, I don't think that seeing boobs in my face was going to solve anything or make me feel comfortable (similar to the uncomfortability issues that I know have developed with Paninis, fresh onions and the passenger seats of Eclipses). Beers were shared among friends. Well, many groups of friends, actually, since the bar seemed to be packed with other escapees flocking to seek solace from family togetherness. We talked about life. We talked about the good and the bad and the most important of all, finding a way to put one foot in front of the other and move forward. All in all, not a bad night....

1 comment:

E-Speed said...

Merry Christmas!!!