Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Casual Oscars

Around this time of year I always start to get excited. No, not because of the holidays looming in the near horizon (I am more of a Halloween fan anyway. I know, my Catholic parents are still guessing on what went wrong here) but because I know the major movie awards are coming soon. Today, the nominations for The Golden Globes were announced, or as I like to call them "The Casual Oscars". You know, the more laid back, casual fitting award ceremony that always finds a way to tightly wrap up in time for the 11:00 news.

Disappointingly, there are a lot of nominated movies that are still on my must see list. At only 26 I am already longing for the days of retirement when I can attend senior discounted matinee movies! Also, it is sometimes difficult for me to entice my friends to see any of the "indi" films. They think I am strange. Well, I guess they do have a valid argument.

I see that Brokeback Mountain is up for quite a few. Excellent. I am very eager to see this one and still pissed that it is being released so slowly to "select cities". I know that speed will pick up in February after the Oscar noms. come out but it really is sad when you see how far our society still has to come. I have read many of the reviews and I know that Monique (my "indi" buddy) and I are anxiously awaiting its arrival somewhere relatively close to Cleveland. Thumbs up to Heath Ledger. I guess the fourth time really is a charm after three recent flops. Also, still going sight unseen, I am going to give an ovation to Michelle Williams (still holding onto her sash as being the only Dawson's Creek alum that has viable acting talent). Lets face it, I am assuming that she is going to shine in this one because plain and simple: she does a bang up job with gay films! She stood her ground in If These Walls Could Talk 2 and had a minor but believable part in But I'm a Cheerleader I am eager to see how she treats the role of playing a beard to her real life hottie husband. Sorry, you have to admit, Heath and Jake got the rugged good looks quality down to a sport. Grrrr!!! Sorry, no matter how professional I wanted this to sound I had to add a little girlish lust in there!

I see Joaquin Phoenix got a golden nom. Enjoyed Walk The Line mainly because of Reese Witherspoon's portrayal of June Carter. Can she make a bad movie? Even when you want to hate her in fluff parts it is impossible because she just encompasses the character so well. I am hoping that a win at The Globes leads her up to the stage out the Oscars. I still think she was unappreciated with her knockout performance in Vanity Fair . Getting back to Phoenix, sorry, but all I kept noticing was him sweating throughout the movie. His bad boy, drug infested image also doesn't help his cause with The Foreign Press. In addition, wasn't the big year for autobiographical movies last year? Sorry, in my opinion, one year late and a few Kilos short. If Spacey and Kline did not even get nominated last year for playing Darin and Porter and I am hoping the Phoenix will not be so lucky.

Okay, I know this is posting is about movies but I just have to do a shot out to Mary-Louise Parker. I admit it, I might be her biggest fan. So graceful and professional in everything that she does. I am a bit biased though. She could probably just be doing a toothpaste or dish soap commercial and I would want to give her a statuette. I have only seen bits and pieces of Weeds during its premier season (damn you Showtime for being so pricey)! But she she made my laugh, think and stay in constant awe. I am hoping the she can break the strangle hold that the Desperate Housewives' foursome has on the category.

4 comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

Athena, I wanna see that gay cowboy movie, too - when it comes out on video, we should rent it!

Hm. You know, maybe I'm out of the loop or something, but I haven't been too hyped about the movies out this year - not a lot of flicks have jumped out enough at me that I just HAVE to see.

As far as movies that'll never get nominated for anything, haha, I'm holding out hope for King Kong, which I think comes out on Friday or came out last week - I get confused. haha. Jack Black is a riot, though. I didn't see The Forty-Year-Old Virgin but plan on renting it ASAP. That one is supposed to be funny, as is The Wedding Crashers, which I also didn't see.

Rhonda

A. M. Mericsko said...

I hear ya girl! It will be just like old times with Monster! "Sorry I called you a dumb dyke!" Oh man, the comments that we can make about poorly portrayed gender citations! lol!
I see where you are coming from with the lack of personal movie hype. However, I am itching to see Capote. I love P.S. Hoffman and I am curious to see how they are going to portray Harper Lee since if I ever have a daughter I want to name her Harper Lee mainly for that reason and because of Angels in America....

Rhonda Helms said...

Ooooh Capote sounds good, too! I forgot about that one.

LOL - Monster was a great movie. Don't Stop Believin', Athena! hahahaha - maybe we can go skating at a roller rink...

A. M. Mericsko said...

oh my gosh! that scene was something else!! and i can't believe that Theron thanked Journey at The Golden Globes but did not thank her co-star! major party foul! let me see if i can dig up my old school rollerskates. "I got a brand new pair of rollerskates...."