Friday, December 16, 2005

Parents of, Friends with and Married to the Craziest of All Athletes....

Okay, recently I have had a few suggestions that I should write a post concerning running. This is probably because for the past few years it has consumed so much of my life. I guess it is pretty bad when most of my recent "vacations" have involved running 26.2 miles. Also, I know that many of my running friends were itchin for a good place to give their input. : )

The question that I want to propose is how do those that do not run cope with being close to a runner? Do they learn to simply accept their obsession or do they choose to just submit and take up running as well? I mention this last option because Mike, my old college roommate Becky's husband, took up running about a year and a half ago. We always make joked that the reason that he did so was so that they could actually spend time together since due to their complex schedules, sitting down to have a quality conversation was not an option. It is funny because both parties have admitted that this theory is true and in fact, running long 20 milers has helped both their training and their marital relationship.

On the other hand, I have noticed many parents, spouses and friends of avid runners choosing to be their runners biggest fan. I have noticed them getting up in the wee hours of the morning to hold warmups as their runner heads to the starting of a marathon. I have also noticed them darting through city streets just to catch a brief glimpse of their runner and then sometimes with little recognition, these people have listened to the many post race complaints of soreness.

The question that I ask is why and how do these people keep doing it? Is it simply a form of unconditional love or is it coming to the conclusion that the desire to run is too great to change and too complex to comprehend?

No comments: