Friday, April 13, 2007

Retro Friday

Steve's blog inspired me to take the opportunity to look back on how my perspectives have shifted over the years on various topics. I am not going to take the crafty approach of syncing it up with band albums because Jefferson Airplane and David Gray are probably the only two musical talents that I would feel comfortable doing. Since I have never indulged in LSD and my White Ladder cd is skippin like a school girl, I will not incorporate these two selections in this entry. I decided that the moderator for this will be my mom. For those of you that do not know her she is quite memorable. Don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces however she has the tendency to be a bit overbearing, loud and a tad abrasive on occasion. None the less, I still appreciate the lady. Here you go. The Athena of 1987, 1997, 2007 with my mom being the featured MC.

Question #1: MC: "Athena!!! What do you want to be when you grow up? Personally, I thought that you should've just always stayed at home and just went to community college. I know how bad you are with directions and there are alot of weirdos out there; so I think at home is where you need to be. As I told you before, it is not you that I worry about so much, it is them."

1987: My first grade teacher is kind of cute so maybe I will be a teacher of some sort. Ummm.. It's normal that I think my teacher is cute, right?

1997: I like earth science so maybe geology would be a good pick. I also just had some recently success with one of my things getting published. Super psyched about that! Makes me want to turn up my new Spice Girls cd and drive around with the windows down in my Beretta. Hmm... Maybe I can just major in journalism or something and study the rocks as a hobby. I see that Mount Union has this new "Writing Major" that might be a good fit. I would have to be some type of loser not to have anymore writing success.

2007: A note to 1997 kid, enjoy it while it lasts and grow out those damn thick bangs of yours. I sort of enjoy being able to swear during my job and having my students feel forced to laugh at my jokes even when they think that they are really not that funny (which most times I have to admit they are not). Even though it will be a bit unstable until I get in a few years with a place, I think I will hang with this community collegiate thing.

Question #2: "Athena!! What is up with you and the cell phone! You are going to kill yourself or someone while talking and driving on the phone!"

1987: I think those big phones in cars are neat. Is that a cell phone?

1997: My rich friend at the preppy high school that I attend has a cell phone. Her dad is an engineer and her mom is a doctor. Must be nice to have all that money. My mom flips breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's. I did hear that rich girl is a big whore though. That makes me laugh.

2007: I love my phone. I know, it is wrong to have love for a material possession but it keeps me entertained. By the way mom, stop calling when I am in the middle of having sex. Although I would never pick up, it is still a big ass distraction and I am sure has deservingly earned some eye rolls and laughs from both parties. When I call back and say "I did not hear the phone", "I was sleeping" or "I was doing school work." I was lying and doing things that even if you tried to image, you really could not so don't even try to go there. For the sake or your sanity, just image me diligently grading essays in the school library with my phone on silent mode in my bag.

Question #3 MC: "Athena!! Are you trying to kill me?? Who are you having sex with? It is that nice friend of yours that came to one of our family parties? He does seem pleasant and smart. I hope it is him. You know I want grand kids some day and I do not think that your bother is following through on that right now. What is wrong with you two anyway? What are your views on sex? We have never sat down and had any type of a formal discussion talk about it. Well, we did have that awkward "when you get your period" talk but all that I remember from that is that I think we were both sweating alot and avoiding eye contact.

2007: Ummm. No mom, not even close. Forgeta about it, eh? "What mamma don't know won't kill her."

1987: Religion class today told me that sex is between a mommy and a daddy that love one another and want to create a baby. Not sure how it works exactly. Perhaps it is similar to a hand shake?

1997: Umm no, but you do have to be in love with someone before you do it. Waiting till marriage is the best choice. That is what the Catholic Church endorses and this Young Republican Club that I am in also supports that position. The rest of those people are probably going to go to hell anyway. I know that this is the path for me. Also, it seems like many things in life are just put in front of us as forms of temptation or "phases" that will occur in everyones' lives. I have to go, I think I have a Eucharistic Ministry meeting in like 10 mins.

2007: So what is the highest SPF of Coppertone that I can bring with me to the afterlife? Well, I always did look better with a tan.

1987: So, it is more than just a handshake?

2007: Yes, but sometimes hands can be incorporated. Hit me up when you get out of grade school and we can discuss further.

Question #4 MC: "Athena!! You always did have the tendency to freak out about stuff that really did not matter and then not sweat the really big stuff. What do you think about that? Is your approach wise or do you intend to remedy your outlooks?"

1987: Everything is a big thing! Who's house I am going over this weekend? Is the episode of Full House new tonight? Will I do well on my spelling test? How can I separate the small stuff from the big stuff when everything is of such importance! Hey, have you seen the Sports Illustrated with the Cleveland Indians on the cover? I borrowed it from dad and now I do not know what I did with it. He is sooo going to be mad at me. Now that is a BIG deal.

1997: I wonder who I should hang out with and If I should go to the movies this weekend? I see that there is a new movie called Boogie Nights coming out. Maybe some friends and I will check that out. However, I heard that it has alot of sex stuff in it and I am not so comfortable with that. Damn perverts. They are probably all going to hell anyway. Hmm.. Guess I should probably make a decision on college soon.

2007: I think me finally realizing two important facts in life has helped me to put things into perspective. Mom, I realize that you are a hyper spaz and as much as I despise your easy freak out tendencies, I also know that I have inherited them. I accept that and now I work on realizing that when I start to freak out I should stop and relax. This has helped alot. I also realize that dad's trait to laugh things off and be too mellow when he should have a greater sense of urgency is indeed included in my genetic makeup as well. I am starting to realize when to take action for particular situations. For perhaps the first time in my life I am learning sustain some type of balance. I think this is at last helping me to discover who I am and what I would like to achieve in life.

1987: But is Full House and the TGIF lineup still important to you?

2007: You have alot to learn 1987 kid, but don't worry about it. You'll put it all together some way and some day. Just enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Awesome post! You've really got a talent for writing!