Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Note On The Virginia Tech Tragedy

I know that many of my college educator peeps have been commenting on the V.T. massacre today. And after attending an impromptu faculty meeting this morning and watching a majority of the conference held on campus while grading this afternoon, I feel nothing but heart felt sympathy for the students, faculty/administration and especially family members of the victims.

I know that many have expressed their shock about how something like this could have happened and more confusing is how the death toll ended up being so disgustingly high. However, the foremost thing that really puzzles me is the campus where it took place - Virginia Tech - a military school. V.T. was one of the five schools that I applied to during my senior year of high school and it was also the place that seemed the safest, a relative collegiate version of Fort Knox. I guess if it can happen their the thought of this happening on less secure campuses is really starting to hit home.

No comments: