Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This one is for you, K.T.

Wow, it has been six years this May since I graduated from Mount. Yikes! Sometimes it seems like only yesterday that Becky, Jen, Holly and I were getting in water fights (why the hell did we ever think it was cool to throw large amounts of liquid in our rooms at one another anyway?? But it was a hoot at the time) and also playing "hide the cheeseburger (yes, it actually is as bizarre and twisted as it sounds). Other times, when I think of the things that I have accomplished over the last six years (places of employment, additional degrees, car, moving out) it seems like a lot longer. However, I think that now, very appropriately, is a good time for me to look back and reflect on what I felt and what I gained from the last month and 1/2 of college.

When I knew the end was near, I started a paperclip chain. Much like Jen's dad had done in anticipation of retirement from the police force. Sure it was more than a little queer but it also helped me to put into perspective the amount of time that was slowly, but steadily slippin through my fingers. They started to come off one by one until I had a bigger and bigger pile. It started to freak me out.

I knew I wanted to attend grad school, I had a few options lined up but nothing was for sure and money was also a concern. I began to contemplate my full-time/part-time school working circumstances. All these "big girl" thoughts were racing through my head as I still tried hardly to enjoy myself and everything around me since I knew it would soon be changing very fast. where the hell did the time go from September to late March?? I had no idea and the more I tried to hold on to it, the more it kept slipping through my fingers.

However, those last few weeks of college were great (minus the cap and gown incident. If you have not heard that story, hit me up sometime, it is a good one!) And I spent the time really enjoying the people and environment around me. I realized although I said I would keep in touch with many, there would be few that I actually would hold true with on that promise. So I dedicated myself to getting my fill of those people, if, unfortunately, we never crossed paths again.

I also learned to appreciate the work I did as a scholarly student (although sometimes that attitude slipped due to watching Dawson's Creek or having our screaming contests. Yes, we actually used to see who could wale the loudest in our dorm rooms.) I stressed about my SCE (senior culminating experience) but learned to relax and appreciate all the hard work I did when it was over. I had more confidence in my abilities after that event and after evaluating my progress as a student.

Running is whole different facet. I learned to truly appreciate the companionship that being on a team allows and I also gained respect for the value of a hard and honest workout. Things that have slipped a little (obviously so in my post-collegiate weight gain). All in all, my cross country and track days were filled with irreplaceable laughter.

If I had to go back to that time in my life again I would not change a thing because I know that I took the time to really appreciate it as I was going through it. I knew that time for responsibility and commitments was going to be fast approaching so I seized and held on to dear life for my last hurrah as a college kid.

As for my life now, I have few complaints. Seems like every phase of your life brings new challenges but it also brings new forms of happiness and excitement.

Enjoy wherever you may be. : )

No comments: