Sunday, July 16, 2006

More On The Relay...

Other than the rain I think that everything went generally okay for the Relay. I got there a little before 6:00 pm and had to park in the far lot because the closer lots were completely filled. I thought this would be the case since many got there earlier to set up prior to the kick off ceremony at 6:00 pm. I was going to try to get up to Tri-C at 5:00 but with work it was not possible. Although, I did manage to cut out a little earlier from the office.

I had tinkered with the idea of taking a half day on Friday so that I would be able to at least squeeze in a quality nap but that was just not in the cards. However, I did make the decision that proved to be pretty dumb during my lunch break. At around noon I decided to take my sandwich out too my car and maybe try to sneak a little 45 min nap in. Well, due to it being so flipin hot (even after I moved my car to a semi shaded spot) and the persistence of a giant dragon fly to enter through my sunroof, that plan was quickly foiled.

About a half hour after the opening ceremonies the light rain got heavier and lightening and thunder started up. This prompted officials to instruct us to go into Tri-C and wait out the storm since they anticipated it passing quickly. While in the building we quickly found ways to amuse ourselves with Roxann's card animal noise game (see me and I will explain it!) and by doing impromptu dance moves in an open ballet studio. During this time my parents stopped by with some cookies for everyone and a double cheeseburger for me. They rock!

We did venture outside again for about an hour to do some walking but had to return because the once clearing sky was turning gray yet again. All of the rain caused the grass to be extremely muddy. It was not that big of a deal when on the concrete circle but it did cause problems when walking back and forth from our tent. It was impossible to not have your feet or some part of your legs caked with mud. Neil, Chris, Vicky and Rox kept joking about the possibility of mud wrestling. I am sure that would've got some donations! : )

No comments: