Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Favorite Television Drama. "Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One."



Jen recently started indulging in season one and hearing about her love at first view made me reminiscent of a show that I hold so dear. So lovingly,in fact, that I made the theme song my ring tone. Well, that is until I tore my phone in half and have been trying, without much luck, to get it downloaded once again on to my new phone. Oh well.... I still got nothing but heart for "Six Feet Under"& here are just a few snack pack reasons why...




Eliminating The Notion That A TV Drama Has To Have One or Two Truly Unique Characters While The Rest Of The Cast Is A Mix Matched Assembly Of Poorly Construed Archetypes: For its 5 year run, the show always had between 10-12 characters that were strongly developed. Yes, having Alan Ball (American Beauty) call the shots was the glue for the show, but the slue of talented writers and actors helped to create, and even more amazingly, keep the stamina up for as long as they did.

Facing The Taboo Head On: As everyone can guess from the title and even just knowing a bit about the show, it dealt with death. The only thing besides, well, you know, taxes, that you can't hide from. Some times the expiration's were natural and clean but most times they were heart wrenching and just over the line bizzaro. As much as you "eeeked" to view it, you just kept coming back.

The Best Series Finale Ever: The way that show ended was a masterpiece. I can count on both hands how unfulfilled I have been with many of the series finales of my likable shows and that scared me going into the "Six Feet Under" last call. From plot, symbolism, point of view, characters, music to irony, the show delivered without disappointment. I have seen the final episode probably 4 times and during and after every time, I cry. Yes, cries of sadness for it ending but most of all I am quietly sobbing because I pretty much have come to terms with the notion that no other show is going to come close to this one. And you know what, that is a-okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. So we are almost done with the first season and I am the 8th hold for the second one at the library. I don't think I can wait that long! I could probably watch all day....

Brian said...

I watched most of season 1 when it originally aired and very much enjoyed it. I was fascinated by the business of running a funeral home. Plus, it didn't hurt that I had a crush on Lauren Ambrose.